Sunday, August 23, 2009

Psalm 84

Those who go through the desolate valley will find it a place of springs, for the early rains have covered it with pools of water. Psalm 84:5

Well, my yard was not quite a desolate valley, but neither was it a place of springs. Three new crepe myrtles were growing taller, but not blooming. I planted impatiens and hosta in full sun, then moved them (too late, I was afraid) when I realized my mistake. In their places I planted Mexican heather and some kind of yellow flower, but they weren't doing well, either. June was so hot and dry, everything was languishing.

I worried about my plants when Little Charlie and I left for 10 days in July. Big Charlie was going to be gone, too, and there would be no one to water the yard. But it rained. And rained. And rained. And then, it rained some more.


My crepe myrtles!


The impatiens, now tucked underneath other plants, have started to mound and bloom!


The hostas, just barely surviving when we left, have juicy new leaves and lovely purple flowers.


The Mexican heather and the yellow flowers have grown and are attracting neighborhood bees and butterflies.

For God is both sun and shield; God will give grace and glory. Psalm 84:10

1 comment:

Mom said...

Jennifer has a green thumb- from whence did it come?!? Lovely!