Saturday, September 10, 2011

Forgiveness

Well.  I have been preaching.  And I have been knitting.  But I haven't been blogging...

In tomorrow's gospel reading, Jesus will tell Peter that we are to forgive one another not once, not twice, not seven times, but seventy-times seven.  Which means, roughly, always.  Dear readers, I beg your forgiveness for my absence.

I'll catch up on the sermons later (if you come here for those, please come back soon!).  For that matter I'll catch up on knitting details later, too.  Forgive me!  But I'll catch up on knitting pictures now!


My Cedar Leaf Shawlette is blocking, soon to be featured in the fashion show of the Spartanburg Knitting Guild at their annual Knit-a-Way Retreat.  Mom is a member, and invites me every year to this wonderful weekend in the mountains of North Carolina.  Mountains plus yarn equals bliss.


This yarn, Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend in the Wildflowers colorway, is also bliss.  I loved it the first time I saw it as someone's Clapotis shawl, and while I have knit with lots of lovely yarns lately, this remains my favorite.  I actually finished this shawl back in February, and am just now getting around to blocking and showing it...forgive me.

 
These No Fuss Mitts in Louisa Harding Thistle are technically finished, and are also on their way to the Knit-a-Way.  Every year we are invited to make a certain kind of garment of knitted object - my first year it was dishcloths, last year it was hats, this year it's mittens or gloves - for a contest.  I love seeing them all displayed together in all their variety and creativity and color.  I may enter these just as they are, or I may try to add a little embroidery embellishment.  Depends on how the sermon writing goes.  Forgive me.


The Kudzu Shawlette I started on summer vacation, hopes to be blocked before I leave as well.  Again, the sermon thing.  Forgive me.  It will come with me either way - I've worn it once unblocked, and the drape of the bamboo blend yarn is lovely just as it is.

In the end, Jesus will tell us that forgiveness isn't about numbers at all - not even the number "always".  Forgiveness is about unburdening the heart so that healing can set in and we can set out in hope.  My hope is to return a little more often to this space, just as I have returned a little more often to my knitting lately.  My hope is to retreat faithfully so that I can work more faithfully.  My hope is to forgive with grace even as I have been graciously forgiven!

2 comments:

Julie Nolte Owen said...

Three lovely projects. I really need to try something with some lace work. You are inspiring me!

Cathy said...

Can't wait to see them (and you) in person!!