Monday, July 04, 2011

What I Did, Day Seven...

The last day of summer vacation!  The List was complete, and I think we even did a few things that were added to the list and crossed off after the fact.  All that was left to do was enjoy being together, take last minute pictures, play last minute games, and top off a great week with Fourth of July fireworks.

In between rain showers we scooted outside to photograph a few finished objects... Here is the Chevron Scarf, blocked a few days ago.  It's so light and airy and soft, but wrapped a time or two I think it will keep away fall's first chills. I found a pattern (and a lovely sample knit) for it here.






It was fun and so simple to knit, and I still have about a third of the skein of Malabrigo sock left.

And here are our Five-Hour Baby Sweaters.  Mom's is pink (Caron Simply Soft) and mine is blue (Cascade Pacific).  I altered the pattern a teensy bit to reduce the width of the cuffs and the hem along the bottom.  Although we used needle sizes indicated by the yarn, mom's turned out larger than she expected and mine is much smaller...probably just the right size for a teddy bear or doll.  Mom's has buttonholes; I plan to crochet a tie out of a contrasting yarn for mine when I get home.  There are tons of versions of this sweater on Ravelry, with lots of ideas for trims and alterations.





I would definitely knit this pattern again, but instead of seaming the sleeves I would knit them in the round.  I don't like the ridge the seam creates inside the sleeve.  Still, it's an interesting pattern as written, allowing you to knit the entire sweater (and even do the seams) without breaking the yarn.

Oh say can you see how the colors of the sweaters are exactly the colors of the sunset as we waited for the 4th of July fireworks to begin!





Tomorrow we head home...but there's still plenty of summer left!  

No comments: