Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Same (But Different)

I only have three and a half skeins left to finish my entrelac wrap...again...



I've been at this point twice before, and twice have decided that I need to add a few more skeins to make the finished piece long enough.  Back in September, at the Big Lynn Lodge (covered in fog when we were there; now covered in two feet of snow!), I started with the recommended eight skeins of Noro Silk Garden in my chosen colorway, 268 - such a nondescript name for something so very lovely, something with so much depth and variation.  The colors remind me of the water and rocks of Iona's wild coastlines, where the grazing grasses grow right up to pebble-strewn beaches and crystal waves of grey and blue...



Perhaps I am a tight knitter, perhaps the pattern is mistaken, perhaps I just prefer a longer wrap...I decided to add two more skeins, bringing the total up to ten.  The little yarn shop that taught the entrelac class and provided the initial stash had more in stock, so I ordered it from them and was delighted to receive the squishy envelope in my mailbox a few days later.

Not long ago, I decided I needed still more yarn, and called up the shop again.  This time they couldn't help.  I searched on-line, and found 268 but in a different dye lot.  The same, but different.



I can't remember now which of the skeins in this picture are from dye lot A, and which are from dye lot B.  I hope that's encouraging news, that they look so similar I won't be able to tell the difference when they are knitted into the wrap (which I'm wearing in the next picture - see how short it still is?).



It is my hope to finished knitting my Iona wrap over Christmas, this season in which God came among us as one of us...the same, but blessedly, wondrously different...

1 comment:

Julie Nolte Owen said...

Yes, different dye lots can cause some problems. Did you see the Yarn Harlots similar woes lately? Her colors were very, very different.

The wrap is beautiful, and I know the photos don't reveal all of its texture and glory.

I still want to learn how to do this. . .