Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sheep to Shawl

On Saturday, the Mississippi Craft Center and Chimneyville Weavers and Spinners Guild held a Sheep to Shawl event.  It could not have been a more beautiful day outside, and whole families flocked (heehee!) to the Craft Center to enjoy the event.  I met several friends and their daughters there.

We met sheep, alpaca, goats, and rabbits.  I learned that alpaca get lonely easily, and so if you're going to have one, you really need two.  I also learned that the sheep we met (and watched as one was sheared) are specially bred to live on the Gulf Coast, and even with all their wool can withstand temperatures up to 104 degrees.  They are hardier than I am - I wilt much sooner than that!





At different tables we could watch as fleece was carded, wool was hand-felted, and yarn was spun and dyed and woven.  Guild members eagerly and graciously explained their craft.  Everything was hands-on, including special weaving and felting activities for children.










I wonder how many new hobbies I can take up?!  I'm thinking there may be a drop spindle in my future...

3 comments:

Julie Nolte Owen said...

Me, too. Beautiful photos! What a lovely event it was. There may be a small Cricket loom in our future, too.

Cathy said...

Wonderful pictures and descriptions. I felt (hahhah!) like I was there with you! Any guys participating?

Jen said...

There were dads there with their families, and among the crafters, one man was weaving (in fact, the brown and green piece in the picture is his), another man sheared the sheep, and a teenage boy was helping with various demonstrations. My guys were nestled in happily at home weaving in and out as they raced cars on the wii. :) I think they both would have like the event, though, and perhaps we'll all go next year!