Monday, January 03, 2011

On the Tenth Day of Christmas...

Back to school = no knitting to show.

But it does mean I have a story to tell.  Today, in the midst of pastoral visits, sermon writing, chapel planning, and both answering and asking a thousand times "And how was your holiday?...", I taught our three year-olds about the visit of the wise men and their gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh.

They were off to a fast and furious start, learning all about the letter "L" on their first day back from break. One class was having a show and tell when I got there, sharing toys from home beginning with the letter "L" (a lizard, a lamb...) and then getting a piece of Laffy Taffy to take home.  Another class was playing with short and long sticks to make letter "L's" on the floor.  The third class was playing "London Bridge," laughing, laughing until they all fell down.

I tried to play along as I told my story about the Little Lord Jesus, the Light in the sky, the Lambs Lying down by the manger, and the Long, Long journey the wise men had to make.  The children Love these stories about Jesus, and they Listen so attentively.

At the end of the story, I asked what special gifts they would like to give to Jesus.  One little boy's eyes grew wide and his hand shot up, and before I could call on him, he whispered eagerly, "I would give him a tiny motorcycle!"

I Love my job.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Laughable and lovely!