Sunday, January 17, 2010

Let It Begin With Me

Every year I ask my husband what he wants for Christmas, and every year he says "peace on earth."  It is noble, of course, but I sometimes wonder if he just thinks it's more likely that I'll pull off world peace than that I'd get him whichever guitar-of-the-moment he has his heart set on.

Maybe someday.  For now, though, I think he really does want peace on earth.  So Little Charlie and I stock up all year on things that proclaim peace.  Here's a sample...














What if, throughout the year, we all stocked up on real things that proclaim peace?  Not tree ornaments or bumper stickers but a passion for justice, a commitment to equality, a capacity for mercy, an ability to forgive?

The tree has finally come down, all the ornaments are wrapped up, and I'm already on the lookout for keychains, bookmarks, and other "happies" that proclaim peace, things Santa can throw in the stocking along with guitar strings and picks next Christmas.  Perhaps I can also be on the lookout for ways I can be a proclaimer of peace...

1 comment:

Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

I like this. :)