Monday, July 13, 2009

Aloha

Perhaps another reason I'm moving more slowly on my log cabin squares (although I did finally finish square number 15 this weekend - take that, you turtles!) is that I've run into a few distractions. One of them is this.


A colleague is moving away, and I wanted to give her something in gratitude for her friendship and her support of my ministry. She is so gracious and kind-hearted and passionate in her work, balancing perfectly the airs of authority and femininity. I will miss her.

Cozy isn't a traditional prayer shawl pattern, but I'm certainly thinking about my friend and thanking God for her as I knit it. The yarn is Luster Sheen from Red Heart, and is all acrylic but has a look and feel like linen or mercerized cotton.


The color ("medium blue" according to the label) belongs both to St. Andrew's School and to my friend's native Hawaii ocean - her office walls are covered in pictures and postcards so lovely you can almost hear the surf. (The first picture actually shows the color more accurately.)

I didn't cast on enough stitches, even though I cast on more than the pattern suggested, so I'm going to have to create a border for the two long sides in order for it to be wide enough to wear as a shawl. I'm looking forward to indulging in the pages of Nicky Epstein's Knitting On the Edge! After all, in the words of our school motton, "we will find a way or we will make one..."

1 comment:

Carrie Bevell Partridge said...

That is really beautiful. I love the pattern and the color. Your friend will love and cherish it, I know.